Mining Coal Safely
Coal mining safety is the core value at Knight Hawk Coal. We are dedicated to ensuring that everyone works in a safe and secure environment. Knight Hawk is a family owned business and our focus extends to all of our employees creating an atmosphere where everyone looks out for their “brothers and sisters”.
Strict adherence with all of the state and federal regulations is mandated at Knight Hawk. We work closely with our state and federal regulators to share information on how best to achieve compliance. In addition, we strive to have zero incidents in the workplace. It is a difficult task in this business, but something that we believe is achievable.
We strive to create a proactive environment towards safety. An environment with open dialogue and feedback with all of our employees. This dialogue manifests itself through our Process Improvement Team, or PIT Team. Our PIT team is a group of employees from across the spectrum of all mining activities that meet monthly for discussion geared towards improving the conditions and processes in which we work. The PIT teams then disseminates its findings into the workforce. This is a behavioral based approach where we identify the processes and elements that could cause potential injuries and proactively correct them. The PIT team creates an attitude towards safety that starts with every employee and is ingrained into everyone’s mind.
It is our hope that these safety practices extend beyond the workplace and continue with our employees in their “home life”. We produce the “Be Well” newsletter, a quarterly circular focusing on lifestyle, health, exercise and safety topics at work and at home. With the stress of our jobs it can be very easy to let your guard down once off property, but this is a very important aspect of our safety initiative. Safe and healthy habits are an “all-day, every-day” behavior.
Our motto at Knight Hawk Coal is, “Safety is Everyone’s Business” and our people prove it every day. Below is a list of some of the recognition our people have received:
Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, Office of Mines and Minerals
- Safeest Underground Mine 2014 - Praire Eagle Mine
- Safest Surface Mine 2012 – Prairie Eagle Mine
- Safest Surface Mine 2011 – Red Hawk Mine
- Safest Surface Mine 2010 – Creek Paum Mine
- Safest Underground Mine 2009 – Prairie Eagle Mine
- Safest Surface Mine 2006 – Red Hawk Mine
- Safest Surface Mine 2005 – Creek Paum Mine
- Safest Surface Mine 1999 – Creek Paum Mine
U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration Certificates of Achievement in Safety:
- Hawkeye Mine 2012, 2013, 2014
- Prairie Eagle Mine 2012, 2013, 2014
- Prairie Eagle Prep Plant 2012
- Creek Paum Mine 2012, 2013, 2014
- Red Hawk Mine 2012, 2013, 2014
- Red Hawk Prep Plant 2012, 2013, 2014
- Black Hawk Mine 2013, 2014